Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rescue at its smelliest

I got a "heads up" call on Monday evening from the director of a local shelter.  She was alerting me to a possible influx of German Shepherds, perhaps upwards of two dozen, sometime soon.  I knew that Shadow was set to move on Tuesday evening, but there is no math that fits 24 German Shepherds into my kennels. 

Another call Wednesday informed me that the worst case scenario seemed to be happening.  They were coming, all at once.  Some were being surrendered voluntarily, the others were being seized.  They were coming from horrific conditions and criminal charges were being filed against the owner. 

I went by the shelter late in the afternoon. Only two of the shepherds were there at that point.  One was terrified and cowering in the far end of a long, narrow run.  The other was friendlier.  I pulled two non-shepherds to foster, just to help them make space. I got the two of them home, introduced to each other, and installed in one kennel.  Then I put in another hour's work, and then delivered Shadow up to Culpeper.  I stopped by the shelter again on my way home, about 9:00 p.m.  The ACOs were still bringing in dogs, a few at a time.  A vet was there giving vaccinations as they came in.  The stench coming from the building was overwhelming, even from outside.  Inside, it was enough to make me sick. 

The dogs were well fed, no one was starving, but they were literally covered in shit.  They had been living in small pens that were nothing but deep layered dog shit--walking on it, laying on it, eating off it.  It was caked on their fur and permeated every inch of their bodies.  This was not a case of someone getting a bit behind on cleaning up.  This was beyond the pale.  The owner is a hoarder, a breeder, and one sick bitch.

I brought home two, a male and female, and put them in a clean kennel full of clean straw, with clean water to drink.  Not fancy accommodations by any means, but it must seem like luxury compared to how they were living just a few hours ago.  I'll go back tomorrow for more.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

How are the dogs doing? How many have come in and need homes?

Unknown said...

I think it's wonderful that you can help. How many dogs are still in need of fostering?

Shayna said...

Yikes! Shika had diarrhea for a day in her crate while I was at work and Rocky does every couple of months. I immediately throw them in the doggy tub! I can't immagine how nasty they would be being left in that for probably what sounds like years. I say make the owner live in one of those kennels for as long as the dogs did.

Jennifer Q said...

Oh my gosh... that is so unfortunate. Thank god for you Brent... :(

Coffeelove said...

May the owner rot in Hell. And may she get there soon.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, this is unbelieveable, We've had many german shepherds and their so easy going it's a shame that these beautiful dogs have had to endure these nasty enviroment!!!! God Bless & thanks for sharing!!! If i didn't already have 2 dogs i'd definitely have to rescue one of them

Lynda said...

I could probably provide temporary housing for awhile. I have a run with three big doghouses that are packed with straw.Of course, Any dogs going in there would have to get along with one another. I'm located near the airport in Richmond. Let me know if you need help.